Tuesday, September 10, 2013

On a Serious Note

I was going to write a post about my favorite stuff, coconut oil. Then I was reminded that today is National Suicide Awareness Day. I'm not sure if any of you know anyone who has contemplated or completed the act of suicide. I have. I had a lifelong friend who battled his entire life for acceptance and love. He battled depression for years and withstood years of bullying. When we were about 21 he informed those he was closest to that he was meant to be a girl and began the process of changing over.  He was criticised and bullied by members of his own family. But to me, he was still my friend. He was talented and brilliant, beautiful, and creative. He became Kara. Kara was still talented, beautiful, creative, and brilliant. She was also brave. She was amazing and I miss her. Last summer, she decided that her life was too painful to continue on. She committed suicide. She is gone forever, but her memory lives on. Her art, and her spirit are still here. Kara, I wish I knew about all of the pain you were in. I wish I had taken the time to reach out to you more. I miss you.

Friends, if you see any of your loved ones struggling, reach out to them. If you even think they might have problems, talk to them. Listen to them. Take them for coffee. Spend time with them. The simple act of caring about someone could save them. Do not let your loved ones become a memory. Don't let them be victims of bullying. Accept them, no matter what. Love them, no matter what. Be there for them. I sincerely hope none of you have to say goodbye to anyone who has died from suicide.

If you are feeling depressed, reach out. Heck, I will talk to you. If you are so inclined, pray to God for help. Call your mother, sister, cousin, best friend, neighbor, anyone. No one wants you to die. Please talk to anyone, and if you are able, get into therapy. Do it for yourself because you deserve a good life.

If Kara's mom is reading this, I hope it was okay to share her story. I know the last year has been so hard for you. You are an amazing woman and mother. Don't ever forget that.

Please please let's get awareness out, and help prevent suicide. You are all loved. Remember that.



No comments:

Post a Comment